Skip to content

27 August 2010

72 dead bodies found in a mass grave in northern Mexico belonged to migrants from Central and South America according to numerous reports.

Police in Tamaulipas state found the six-dozen corpses after they were tipped off by an Ecuadorian man claiming to have survived the executions at a ranch.

(The Latin Americanist)

According to the Ecuadorian survivor (who walked 20 Km. with a bullet wound in the head before he found assistance), the killers attempted to recruit the victims into their organization — reminiscent of the kinds of slaughters not unheard of during the Revolution, when enemy combatants taken prisoner were given a change to change sides or be executed. That the migrants were unlikely to be skilled hitmen, or have any military training of any kind, may indicate that the Zetas are desperate… and, as I’ve said before, are hardly the “special forces” commando unit or an ideological force. Rather, they are simply desperate to find alternative transit routes for the exports they handle.  The murder yesterday of the lead criminal investigator yesterday smells of desperation on the part of the murderer’s “intellectual authors”

In that sense, the 72 migrants were “collateral damage” to bad policy decisions both north and south of the Rio Bravo/Rio Grande.  With an out of control narcotics habit, exports are going to continue.  Throw in economic policies that have forced people to migrate (or, if they stay on the land, to produce the narcotics so desperately sought north of the border) AND the unwillingness of the United States to consider a rational, orderly migration system (and one which would compete economically with the gangsters) and you have a situation where there cannot be winners… only victims.

Laura Carlsen said  much better, and much clearer, what I thought, but didn’t want to say:

The migrants likely did die at the hands of Mexico’s most brutal drug gang. But they also died as a result of both U.S. and Mexican policies that foment violence and have led to a previously unimagined state of lawlessness and brutality south of the border. U.S. immigration and trade policies and Mexico’s U.S.-supported drug war and human rights crisis all played a role in their deaths.

The seventy-two migrants’ names will pass to the growing list of civilians who have become the casualties of a war entered into without thought to its consequences or a coherent strategy for success.

7 Comments leave one →
  1. Frank permalink
    27 August 2010 8:29 pm

You forgot to blame Arizon’s SB1070 for the mass murder of Central American immigrants by Mexicans. I wonder if Arizona will boycotting Tamaulipas for their tough immigration policies?

• 28 August 2010 7:57 am

Both are, of course, unacceptable, but one is condoned by the state. Your continuous attempts to try to somehow justify a state law on the basis of what’s clearly seen as a criminal act has gotten old. Go bore people on some other website.

2. Maggie permalink
    28 August 2010 4:19 pm

Thxs for this Richard, it just numbed me out. I guess the number is now up to 74, they found two officials I believe it was the next day executed on the road leading to the town.

3. Frank permalink
    28 August 2010 4:23 pm

I think Richard should get a grip on reality, Arizona does not condone rape, kidnappings of immigrants. But Mexico’s corrupt police and officials sure do.

Below you will read the story of Marisolina, a young immigrant from El Salvador who’s only dream, like many before her, was the American dream. An immigrant who, with no means to pay ransom, was forced into the dark world of Zeta slavery.

Marisolina didn’t have relatives in the United States, much less in El Salvador, who would or even could pay the Zetas, who kidnapped her, the $3000 dollars they demanded to release her.”You’re going have to come up with another way to pay us, Guerita”, they repeatedly threatened her in the first few days of her captivity.

4. Ken permalink
    28 August 2010 7:53 pm

In the two paragraphs quoted from Laura Carlsen, there is no mention of
    the migrants being illegally in one country trying to illegally enter another country
    opening them up to all kinds of bad circumstances. Them entering illegally is not the fault of Mexico or the United States. We all bear responsibility for our actions. I have lived in Spain, Panama, Mexico and studied in Guatemala for a year. I entered legally into the countries.

If I had entered illegally I would be responsible for that action and for what possibly would happen to me living in the shadows. If I had entered illegally, it would not be the fault of Spain, Mexico or the US, but my fault for entering illegally.

I enjoy reading your column; however on this matter I disagree. I feel people are responsible for their actions. The migrants were in the wrong place for the wrong reasons and were killed by MURDERERS who took advantage of their situation. Sad, sad, s a d. My eldest son was beat up by drug dealers when he complained that he wasn’t getting the quantity of marijuana for which he paid. I would not listen to his complaints. He was in the wrong spot because of his drug use and both he and the drug dealers were responsible for his beating. If you lie down with dogs, you will get fleas…..as they say.

It is dangerous enough to live in the US or Mexico at this time without putting oneself more
    in danger by being an illegal.

A fan who disagrees on this issue
    Ken

5. Frank permalink
    29 August 2010 12:01 am

REYNOSA, TAMAULIPAS, 28 de agosto.- Autoridades municipales exhortaron a la ciudadanía que desea ir a Estados Unidos, a utilizar los cruces fronterizos que unen con las ciudades de Pharr y Mission, luego de que en las cercanías del Puente Internacional Hidalgo estalló al mediodía un artefacto explosivo

6. el_longhorn permalink
    30 August 2010 1:07 pm

Blame is easy. Solutions are hard. Wish I had some. 72 is a lot of people. Very close to home for me.