Skip to content

Don’t panic, gringo… yet.

28 February 2017

Via TV Azteca (my translation):

PAN senator Jorge Luis Preciado proposes that in the event that Donald Trump insists on applying a tax on remittances from the United States then the Mexican government should impose a residence tax on US citizens living in this country.

“I would ask the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Treasury to evaluate the possibility of reciprocity if [the Trump Administration] imposes more taxes on remittances or establishes more sanctions for immigrants. We, in a joint action with the Chamber of Deputies could establish a special tax on Americans who reside permanently in our country, “said the PAN senator.

pesoPreciado also proposed that the Foreign Ministry issue warnings asking Mexicans not to visit those U.S. states where Mexicans are attacked and mistreated and where anti-immigrant measures are applied.

“What are we proposing? That, just as the United States Department of State issues an alert for its citizens not to visit certain states based on concerns about insecurity, we want to ask the Foreign Ministry to issue an alert for Mexican citizens, warning them against visiting those cities or those states that are adopting anti-immigrant policies, “said the legislator.

I don’t think it would come to a formal “gringo-tax”, though I would not at all be surprised to see rates for residency permits substantially raised based on the applicant’s nationality.

4 Comments leave one →
  1. 28 February 2017 2:23 pm

    It’s not entirely related, I know. But I have a burning question, Rich. By the time I’d left Mexico, the 20, 50, 100 and 200 peso notes were all of the polymer variety. When I went back last September, I didn’t see a single polymer 200 peso note. Just paper ones. What gives?

    • 28 February 2017 6:52 pm

      Danged if I know… I think they made some minor changes somewhere in there… BTW, I’ve been reading about how Brexit will affect those with non-British spouses. Hope all is working out for you and Paloma.

      • 1 March 2017 3:53 am

        Spouse wise, we chose to relocate to the UK at just the right time. A few months later and we would have been caught up in the new rule requiring the Brit to be earning at least £18,600 in order to bring a non EU spouse over. That’s a fair old salary – I wouldn’t have been able to bring Mrs P (P for Paola, not Paloma!) for about three years!

        The reason a law introduced in 2012 has been in the news lately is the usual one. It was challenged in the courts. The Supreme Court verdict came last week, and sadly upheld the government’s position. But this won’t affect us, we’re already in. And Mrs P is now a fully paid up member of the club anyway…

        Of course, this was all a side affect of pre-Brexit Britain, a vain effort to keep immigration down. Post Brexit, it’s the EU spouses that have problems.

  2. Julia Armentrout permalink
    28 February 2017 3:16 pm


Leave a reply, but please stick to the topic

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: